Sunday, July 4, 2010

What does success look like?

What exactly is success? Like the really good things in life, I'm beginning to understand that it's one of the more nebulous concepts in life, despite the fact that ostensibly, many people with ambition are fighting to be successful. So, based on recent events, I'm going to lay out what I think success is

First, what is it not? It is not purely wealth or fame, in the common sense of these words. Material wealth (a big pay check, etc.) is nice in that it can give one freedom, it is only a means to be successful. Nigel Roome, in a recent lecture, pointed out that one of the key planks in the causes of the financial crisis was the Gordon Gecko idea that "Greed is Good." I think the statement should be expanded - greed is good for what? And fame, per se, is not success either. Remember you have to be careful to define again, "famous for what?" I suppose I would like to be famous, but if I were famous for a crime, does that really make me successful?

This leads to the next question, the "for what?" part of greed and fame. I'm defining a pretty short list of virtues one could be famous and wealthy for: truth, beauty, wisdom, generosity, leadership, friendship, humanity, peace, happiness, and love. Looking at this list, of course, I can see that each term requires it's own definition, but if we take this list as layer down from success, then I think it's safe to say pursuing any of these is a worthwhile goal.

But that does not necessarily lead to success. It seems very clear to me that if one truly has found a new truth, a new beauty (or has mastered an old one), or has developed a greater humanity, it is imperative that it be shared. Proverbially speaking, "polishing one's virtues under the covers at night" is cowardly. So one also has to have the courage to share what you know with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment