Saturday, April 3, 2010

On the logic of moving to another country

On the plane to Belgium to start my new career, I find myself reflecting on moving about the world, especially as I leave behind places so familiar as Los Angeles and San Francisco to start a new life in a place decidedly unfamiliar.

Why should I want to do such a thing as this? Well, it’s not because I’m some diehard business world adrenaline junky who likes to uproot my life for the “thrill,” and it’s definitely not because I’m running from anything in California. Truth be told, it comes down to a desire to understand the world at more than an academic level, and judging from great minds of the past and many of those who have given me advice, this type of culture clash can create some incredibly creative periods.

To be global in the truest sense of the word is to know life and this planet for what it is. Not for what we think it is, or what we imagine it might be. And I mean, the World here. I think I have as much to learn about California in leaving as I do the rest of the world.

I’m paraphrasing T.S. Eliot here when I say that this is the “end” of one chapter in my life, but it also the “beginning” of another. The end is where we start from and, as it is likely we all end up back at the beginning, at least through this experience we can truly know the place for what it is.

The goal here is to know truth, and once that truth is known, to use it to build a truly happy existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment